30 Minute Repairs | Walk in or drop off | Guarantees / Warranties | Central London location
How To Fix Your Water Damaged Phone
Although many devices are waterproof, Square Repair has seen thousands of devices brought into our London Liverpool Street branch that has been damaged by water.
“Despite there being an influx of waterproof Smartphones coming onto the market, over 11% of phones are damaged by water each year, that’s around 36m devices yearly!”
We’re one of London’s leading smartphone repair specialists. We’ve repaired over 70,000 devices in the last seven years.
Our experienced technicians have overseen thousands of water damage repairs at our London branch. Contact us here for further details.
Does putting your phone in rice really work?
Putting your water-exposed phone in rice might absorb some moisture, but it could also cause other issues for your device like getting dry starch or dust into your phone’s crevices and cracks.
Also, rice could get lodged in your device’s headphone jack or charging port, which becomes hard to dislodge because rice swells when exposed to liquid.
How do you get water out of your phone without rice?
- First, remove your phone from the liquid immediately because more liquid seeps into the cracks of the phone the longer it stays there
- Turn off the phone and remove the protective case, if it has one
- If possible, take out the back cover and remove the microSD card, SIM card and battery
- Use a paper towel or cloth to dab the phone dry. Don’t rub the phone because you could accidentally push liquid into the phone’s sensitive parts
- Don’t bake your phone in the sun. Instead, keep it in a cool, dry place
- Use silica gel packets, like those that come with new products. Fill a plastic zip-top bag with the gel and bury your phone in the bag for at least 24-48 hours
- After the phone has fully dried, switch it on. If it doesn’t come on, try charging it to see if there’s any difference.
Can phone be fixed when water damaged?
Water damage can be a complex matter and could affect different electronic components depending on the extent of the water damage.
At Square Repair, we will recommend our diagnostic service that can average from £15 to £30.
Our diagnostic service includes:
- A thorough diagnostic service that is performed by our in-house, expert technician.
- No obligation to proceed with any further repairs.
- A 24 – 48-hour diagnostic service and a potential repair solution.
- We do not wipe your data.
If you would like to have a chat with us and explain the condition of your current device, give us a call today.
If you’re passing through Liverpool Street station, feel free to book an appointment and we’ll see how we can help you.